2.03.2011

THE HAWAIIAN BIBLE!

A missionary serving in our area is from Hawaii, and this is a book he brought from home.  It's the Polynesian's bible.
Below is a small passage from the book of Matthew where John the Baptist baptizes Jesus.

"Dat time, Jesus come from Galilee side to da Jordan River wea John stay, so John can baptize Him.  But John wen tell Jesus, "How come you come by me?  Eh, me, I no can baptize you.  Eh, me betta You baptize me!  I need dat."  But Jesus say, "No need.  Dis okay fo now, fo show we like do everything da right way."  So, John say, "Okay, we go den."  An he baptize Jesus.  Right after John baptize Him, Jesus come out from da water, an you know wat?  Da sky wen rip open.  Jesus spock God's Spirit coming down on top Him.  Look ja like one dove.  An wow!  Had one voice from da sky wen say, "Dis my boy.  I get love an aloha fo Him fo real kine, an I stay good inside cuz a Him!"

That was typed exactly as it is found in this book. 

This is legit.  Well, it is a false translation, but it is pretty funny to read.  It strengthens my testimony of the Book of Mormon.  The Bible has gone through so many translations.  The Book of Mormon has not.

2 comments:

jeff and alli said...

I think Jeff would like to get his hand on 'Da Jesus Book'. Just saying that makes me smile. :)

I'm not sure what Kevin means by 'false translation.' Does he just mean the bible, no matter what language it is in, has mistakes in the translations? (that I agree with) Or does he think the Polynesian translation is more false than others? (that I don't think is supported by any factual information or apostle quotes)

Jon, Kristin, and the kiddos said...

Wow... what does one say to that?

We are blessed to have the scriptures that we do with correct translation!